Multiple Implants Are Invisible & are undetectable, therefore the teeth appear completely natural. The ability to floss between them and maintain the health of the underlying gums and bone is excellent. They look, feel and perform as if they were your natural teeth.
Fixing More Than One Missing Tooth
Just as with one missing tooth, we can treat several missing teeth successfully with dental implants at Tracey Bell. Implant supported teeth are permanently fixed in the mouth, unlike removable appliances like dentures. Guaranteed no slip and no click, and there is no worrying about them moving or falling out when speaking, eating, or participating in activities. Dental implants are placed directly into the bone, therefore preserving the jawbone and preventing bone deterioration. Tracey Bell can make your Dental Implants look, feel, and function like natural teeth, and they can last a lifetime. The procedure is referred to as a single stage implant fixture placement. Cover screws are exposed and there is no secondary procedure is required to uncover the integrated implants.
Reduction of Bone Loss
The area of the jawbone that holds a tooth in place is called a tooth socket. After a tooth has been removed, the bone that supported this tooth rapidly begins to resorb away. A socket preservation grafting procedure is performed to reduce the bone loss in the socket. This procedure is done as gently as possible. In many cases a tooth can be removed gently using our periotome instruments. Periotomes reduce the force found with forceps, pushing between the tooth root and bone so that the bone is gently pushed away from the tooth root. The tooth then emerges and the implant can be placed into the residual tooth socket.
If there is damage, trauma or periodontal disease, additional bone can be created. The tooth is gently removed; donor bone is inserted into the tooth socket during the socket preservation grafting procedure. The patient’s body uses this donor bone to completely fill the tooth socket, which prevents bone loss. The socket preservation grafting procedure is completed immediately after removal of a tooth. After four to six months, your dental implant can be placed into the old tooth’s position.
Advantages over Bridges
Using a bridge has several drawbacks:
- The capped teeth that support the bridge are weakened, and often fail over time, creating more dental problems.
- The bridge can t prevent bone loss. The bone in the area where the teeth are missing will continue to deteriorate, and this leads to further complications.
- Some spans of missing teeth are too large to be treated with a bridge.
- Most bridges last from 5-7 years before needing to be replaced.
- Dental implants are placed directly into the bone where the teeth are missing, and do not affect the adjacent healthy teeth. Dental implants also prevent or reduce the further loss of bone, and can last a lifetime.
Advantages over Dentures
Another traditional approach to treating multiple missing teeth has been to use partial dentures. These are appliances made of plastic and metal that clip to adjacent healthy teeth in order to fill the gaps created by missing teeth.
- Dentures are a more cosmetic procedure than they a functional one. Many people who wear partial dentures are reluctant to smile, laugh or even speak in public because they are afraid their denture may slip, or that the wires may show.
- Partial dentures can greatly impact your ability to eat what you like, especially in public.
- Many people do not like the feeling of metal and plastic in their mouths.
- Just like bridges, dentures do nothing to prevent loss of bone in the jaw.
- Many people tolerate dentures because they think they have no other viable options.